[plug] 2.6.10 Keyboard Problem

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 10 12:26:48 WST 2005

On 10 Mar 2005 at 11:41, Timothy White wrote:

> I'm having a problem with what appears to be keyboard interrupts when
> running a 2.6.10 kernel.
> Basically keys appear to get stuck down. What really happens as far as I
> can see is the keyup interrupt is being missed. It also happens on the
> keydown sometimes. It's not the keyboard as far as I can see and didn't
> happen when I was running a 2.4 kernel or a 2.6.6 kernel.
> What happens is I can be typing or hit a button and then suddenly the
> key starts to repeat (very annoying when you hit enter.) until you hit
> another key (IIRC another keydown cancels the key repeat)
> I also sometimes get a problem where it appears to be stuck with the
> shift key down and because keydown on meta keys (and other modifiers?)
> isn't cancelled until a keyup on that key.
> I'm going to try disabling key repeat under Xorg because the key repeat
> is the most dangerous bit (not sure if it happens on the mouse as well,
> button down button up, but I just had a few hundred tabs open in firefox
> after Ctrl Clicking a link)
>
> Any ideas?

I'm not certain if there is any connection to your problem - in some BIOS's there is a feature
which controls the rate at which your keyboard repeats keystrokes - if you have this feature in
your BIOS you can switch it off or set the rate at which the keystrokes repeat.

I have used this feature to help some disabled people who have had trouble getting their fingers
off the key in time to avoid the repeated key stroke action.

HTH

Regards Arie