[plug] VGA to TV encoder

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Mar 10 13:22:59 WST 2005

Arie Hol wrote:
> I have been looking unsuccessfully for a VGA to TV encoder.
>
> I need to capture the output from the VGA output on my video card to a VCR or a TV - so that I can
> record the display while doing Linux installs - I want to do this so that I can replay the tape and
> do screen shots of different aspects of a Linux install.

There are several scan converters available. I bought one a couple of years ago from Tang in Ossie
Park. You will find after passing the VGA through a scan converter and then recording it, that the
resolution is so bad as to be completely useless for screen shots. We were using it for advertising
in a shopping centre and it was barely passable at that.

My Matrox G450 video card enables the TVOut on boot if there is a telly connected and mirrors the
main screen on the TV during the boot process. Might be worth looking at.

Regards,
Brad.