[plug] VGA to TV encoder

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:25:12 WST 2005

> On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:48:57 +0800, Arie Hol <arie99 at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
> >
> > I have been looking unsuccessfully for a VGA to TV encoder.
> >
> > I need to capture the output from the VGA output on my video card to a VCR or a TV - so that I can
> > record the display while doing Linux installs - I want to do this so that I can replay the tape and
> > do screen shots of different aspects of a Linux install.
> >
> > The device I need must work independently of OS and not need drivers of any type.

I dont know of anything like that, but I have seen a few multifunction
boxes that take various solaris, sgi etc proprietry interfaces and
output to other interfaces. I dont see why this wouldn't exist.

> > so far either needs drivers or is just too costly for me to consider.

Likely to be the case - this qualifies as a niche market.

> > Is there any body out there who has any knowledge about this subject or type of device ?
> >
> > Any  advice would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > TIA.
> >
> > Regards Arie

As mentioned VMWare is a good solution for this, and its the way we
take screenshots of install procedures at my work.

Also the anaconda installer (at least from Redhat) has the ability to
do remote X displays by adding a command line arg to the install line.
I dont have a reference -  saw the args on a redhat development list
about 12 months ago. Other installers may have similar features.

Good luck

Carl G