[plug] The Australian Business Registry

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Sun Mar 13 10:47:49 WST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Kev wrote:

> I was just on this site ...
>
> 		http://www.abr.gov.au/ABR_BC/
>
> ... to apply for an ABN.  I can't do it because I don't use IE.  This is what
> I just sent to them.

Why don't you just use Opera, with it emulating IE, to access the
facility and obtain the ABN (I think it is now called something else -
GST registration number, or something), and then send a written
complaint to the federal ombudsman, about the restrictive trading
practice and the prohibition by the feral government departments, of the
use of other web browsers and operating systems, by business, as
inferred by the restriction of web browser access?

You could also possibly make a formal complaint to the ACCC, and,
possibly to the federal auditor-general, about the inherent requirement
to pay a third party (Microsoft) a fee (the Windows licence fee), to be
able to use a feral government facility.

Surely, that is an unconscionable business practice (a defined offence
under the Trade Prcatices Act, which the ACCC is supposed to administer.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."