[plug] The Australian Business Registry

Alex Nordstrom alexander.nordstrom at tpg.com.au
Sun Mar 13 13:49:00 WST 2005

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:25, bob wrote:
> The legislation in question: DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT 1992

The HREOC has, as I'm sure you're all aware, acted in the past to ensure
the Act be supported by case law. See Maguire v SOCOG:

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/disability_rights/decisions/comdec/2000/DD000200.htm

Of particular concern here was the absence of alt attributes in image
tags.

In fact, the examination of the user agent string (which is easily
forged with the user agent switcher extension to Mozilla Firefox to
bypass the check) may even hold any relevance. A much bigger problem is
the reliance on client-side scripting and cookies.

It would help if a complainant had actually suffered from the
inaccessibility owing to a disability (rather than consumer choice) as
the HREOC is less likely to act on hypothetical damages.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/