[plug] Source control for webapplications

rod bwarff at obsidian.com.au
Thu Mar 17 04:19:33 WST 2005

> >in situations like that I would have 2 little scripts (pull,push)
> >that "do the right thing" at pulling the latest data/code down and
> >pusing it back up again.
> >

> No, CVS does this already, it's called checking out and checking in, no
> magic scripts required.
>
> >everyone has to have the discipline to 'pull' before doing work, then
> >'push' when happy with the work... and any manner of 'nasties' can be
> >hidden in the pull and push scripts ;P
> >

> No, CVS manages this and will also allow you to merge changes.

I was just suggesting hiding the 'specific' mumbo jumbo required to
drive the 'particular' revision control system with a generic script
that may or may not do other things besides the update/commit....

Its something Ive done from time to time, to enforce correct behaviour,
as getting other people to use the correct arguments was tedious, it also
would give you hooks to do the schema hack, if the revision control
system didnt give such hooks.

I shouldnt have mentioned it ... or mentioned my intentions more clearly :)