[plug] Source control for webapplications

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Mar 16 18:07:18 WST 2005

rod wrote:

>>>in situations like that I would have 2 little scripts (pull,push)
>>>that "do the right thing" at pulling the latest data/code down and
>>>pusing it back up again.
>>>

>>No, CVS does this already, it's called checking out and checking in, no
>>magic scripts required.
>>

>>>everyone has to have the discipline to 'pull' before doing work, then
>>>'push' when happy with the work... and any manner of 'nasties' can be
>>>hidden in the pull and push scripts ;P
>>>

>>No, CVS manages this and will also allow you to merge changes.
>>

>I was just suggesting hiding the 'specific' mumbo jumbo required to
>drive the 'particular' revision control system with a generic script
>that may or may not do other things besides the update/commit....

Hmm, I understand the sentiment, though that is exactly why I use LinCVS
as a GUI front-end. It should also be observed that you can configure
CVS to run scripts to sanitise input both during check-in and check-out,
so you can in fact protect yourself against much mumbo-jumbo.

But yes, I do agree with the comment.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S34°32'27" - E146°24'35" (Leeton, NSW)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..