[plug] Can I restart a suspended job on a remote machine from a different shell?

rod bwarff at obsidian.com.au
Sat Mar 19 04:11:09 WST 2005

Screen is the only way to achieve this afaik, because
an application will usually die when it loses its file descriptors,
and the moment the shell session which started the program stopped,
its file descriptors also went away.

screen creates a wrapped/fake set of files for the application, and
can then change/ignore/whatever the real file descriptors on the
application without it noticing... thusly the shell can go away, and
screen will just buffer

well thats my understanding of it anyway ... feel free to ignore.