[plug] Can I restart a suspended job on a remote machine from a different shell?

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Mar 18 15:16:07 WST 2005

I should have made it clearer - the job is suspended in a running
terminal on the remote machine itself so the file descriptors etc are
still there.  I am hoping that the shell can be sent a signal by another
process to restart this job.  Otherwise when I get home I'll just "fg"
it and it will start running again.

The shell session never stopped - software suspend does just that,
suspends the machine in its currently running state, saves the memory
off to disk and halts.  You just restart the machine and reload the
image and you are back to where you were, all applications that were
running before shutdown are running again.

BillK