[plug] Can I restart a suspended job on a remote machine from a different shell?

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Fri Mar 18 15:46:56 WST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 03:16:07PM +0800, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> I should have made it clearer - the job is suspended in a running
> terminal on the remote machine itself so the file descriptors etc are
> still there.  I am hoping that the shell can be sent a signal by another
> process to restart this job.  Otherwise when I get home I'll just "fg"
> it and it will start running again.

You could try sending the job a SIGCONT.  You will probably have to
work out exactly which processes are stopped (the T status in ps).
"kill -CONT pid", anyway.  Job control can suspend more than one
process in the job, I think.

I just tried exactly that here, by sending a SIGCONT to a suspended
"ls -al" from a different xterm, and it worked.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
There's small choice in rotten apples.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Taming of the Shrew"