[plug] /dev files with linux kernal upgrade

Steve autobot at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 21 16:07:16 WST 2005

Hi there,
A while back i installed kernel 2.6.8 along side 2.6.5 for my system.  Ever
since, the /dev directory was copied or split into /dev/ and /.dev/
A diff /dev/ /.dev/ reveals that /.dev/ seems to have everything and /dev/ just
has basic devices. (I can see /.dev/ has heaps of ttys, ptys and lots of sdas
that /dev/ doesnt).  My system uses devices from both dirs, i wouldnt have clue
how to  merge them or have one directory.

Is it possible /.dev was created as a backup of 2.6.5's device files? Any idea
how to fix this?

System
debian testing 2.6.8-1-686
athlon 2500
512 MB
possibly stuffed FAT on HDD - somehow dual booting winXP and debian

~Shanon