[plug] [OT] pc builting confusion

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Mar 22 19:21:50 WST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 02:33 -0800, WolfBite wrote:
> 10 YEARS??
[snip]
> I think currently your doing good if you get more than
> 2-3 years?

While I think asking for a 10-year useful life on a PC is somewhat
unrealistic, it's not absurdly so. My firewall is about eight years old,
maybe nine. CA is able to turn PII-233s into quite usable machines with
a modern set of software, and they're getting on a bit too.

I'm not convinced many will find the lifetime of a PC as short as two
years, unless they're compulsive upgraders / tinkerers, hardcore gamers,
or the depressingly common sort who go buy a new PC when the old one is
"broken" (choked with viruses and spyware).

--
Craig Ringer