[plug] [OT] pc builting confusion

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Wed Mar 23 09:03:02 WST 2005

Ryan Smith wrote:

>Ok, well the decision on the athlon 64 is solid. I am just not sure what
>you are saying here. Should I go for the 745 or the 939.

You should go for socket 939.  Socket 754 is older and slower.  I've
personally got an Athlon 64 3500+ (939) running on an MSI K8N Neo2
Platinum board (nVidia Nforce 3 250 chipset based board), and its very
nice and fast.  I would not touch a VIA chipset based motherboard for
either an Intel or AMD CPU, even though there are more VIA based boards
for AMD available than others.

>Yep looking at stuff like that.
>
>Has anyone had any problems with asus or gigabyte motherboards?

I wouldn't touch Gigabyte (too many issues from what I've seen generally
speaking), and I've had a friend who has had a few problems with his
Asus board (Intel based).  I've recently had MSI boards and Abit boards
myself and they've both been fine.

/ Ben