[plug] [OT] pc builting confusion

Ryan Smith ryan at westnet.net.au
Wed Mar 23 11:04:13 WST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 09:03:02AM +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
| Ryan Smith wrote:
|
| >Ok, well the decision on the athlon 64 is solid. I am just not sure what
| >you are saying here. Should I go for the 745 or the 939.
| >

| You should go for socket 939.  Socket 754 is older and slower.  I've
| personally got an Athlon 64 3500+ (939) running on an MSI K8N Neo2
| Platinum board (nVidia Nforce 3 250 chipset based board), and its very
| nice and fast.  I would not touch a VIA chipset based motherboard for
| either an Intel or AMD CPU, even though there are more VIA based boards
| for AMD available than others.
We really cant afford >$400 just for the cpu. Which is why socket 754 is
looking so nice. Are they slow when compared to 939 equivalent or slow
compared to socket A.

What is wrong with VIA chipsets. I know nforce is better and faster, but
I have a VIA board and the only problem I have is USB2 doesnt work.

cheers
Ryan