[plug] backing up Linux to Windows

Simon Marko s.marko at bigpond.com
Wed Mar 23 22:02:40 WST 2005

Denis Brown wrote:

> Hello PLUG list members,
>
> A sad day.
>
> I have two neuroimaging systems comprising workstations and servers
> (atm one ws and one server per system but that will grow.)   There is
> 90 GB stored at present on one system and the other is presently idle
> for human reasons.   The mass of data is expected to increase rapidly
> as more studies are performed, more patients, etc and we don't mention
> backup.   Well, I do.
>
> My ideal would be a close coupled LTO-style autoloader, close-coupled
> meaning attached to a server.   I have proposed as such, along with
> lower-order alternatives such as reciprocal backup to the other
> server, backing up to DVD, or via SaMBa share to a Windows network.
> There are concerns about data sensitivity - human research data for
> example, hopefully anonymised.   The comparative sluggishness of the
> network is a factor too.   Equally, I would like to see the
> close-coupled solution so that system restoration, if ever necessary,
> could happen in my lifetime.
>
> Naturally the Powers That Be (tm) have decided to explore the
> Windows-based solution, regardless that my section will be asked to
> contribute $$s towards it and only a few $$s more would see us with
> our own stand alone (close coupled) solution.   I am fairly confident
> of my grounds for wanting the direct-connect solution but would
> welcome constructive criticism of the above.   Also, if felt that I am
> on the right track, some URLs pointing to industry heavies who
> recommend such solutions, would be highly valued.
>
> Of course *any* backup is better than *no* backup but the $$
> difference would not be all that great.
>
> TIA,
> Denis

Hi Denis - you don't mention if the "backups" need to be moved offsite
at all.
If they don't, and the data capacity will expand (it always does that
for some reason !) then I suggest looking at SAN as a solution instead
of tape (of any kind).

The reasons I suggest SAN are:
* directly attached to servers and/or workstations via fibrechannel (up
to 2Gbps)
* can be configured as RAID-1/3/5/10 to prevent failure of a single disk
from interrupting service
* SAN is not an IP network, so is less prone to interception/attack
* extra storage can be added and reconfigured as necessary

Of course the solution must fit the requirements, as well as the budget ;-)
Some vendors who you might consider:
HP        http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/entrystorage.html
XINIT   http://www.xinit.com/products/storage/
Zzyzx   http://www.zzyzx.com/products/san/index.html