[plug] backing up Linux to Windows

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue Mar 22 14:58:02 WST 2005

Hello PLUG list members,

A sad day.

I have two neuroimaging systems comprising workstations and servers (atm
one ws and one server per system but that will grow.)   There is 90 GB
stored at present on one system and the other is presently idle for human
reasons.   The mass of data is expected to increase rapidly as more studies
are performed, more patients, etc and we don't mention backup.   Well, I do.

My ideal would be a close coupled LTO-style autoloader, close-coupled
meaning attached to a server.   I have proposed as such, along with
lower-order alternatives such as reciprocal backup to the other server,
backing up to DVD, or via SaMBa share to a Windows network.   There are
concerns about data sensitivity - human research data for example,
hopefully anonymised.   The comparative sluggishness of the network is a
factor too.   Equally, I would like to see the close-coupled solution so
that system restoration, if ever necessary, could happen in my lifetime.

Naturally the Powers That Be (tm) have decided to explore the Windows-based
solution, regardless that my section will be asked to contribute $$s
towards it and only a few $$s more would see us with our own stand alone
(close coupled) solution.   I am fairly confident of my grounds for wanting
the direct-connect solution but would welcome constructive criticism of the
above.   Also, if felt that I am on the right track, some URLs pointing to
industry heavies who recommend such solutions, would be highly valued.

Of course *any* backup is better than *no* backup but the $$ difference
would not be all that great.

TIA,
Denis