[plug] backing up Linux to Windows

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 24 08:40:56 WST 2005

Leon Brooks <leon at cyberknights.com.au> writes:
>On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 22:48, dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au wrote:
>> There is a need to move tapes offsite however, but never hurts to
>> see other solutions.

>How about hard disks? 200GB in a 3.5" USB2 enclosure comes out at
>~$200 apiece. Hot pluggable, much cheaper than tapes, about the
>same speed, no possibility of getting a tape stuck in the drive,
>easy to automate (down to flagging the drives and having the backup
>script whine loudly if the wrong backup drive is presented).

Also look at SATA. It's *faster* than most tape drives. FWIW,
backing up over a LAN is faster than tape drives and is also
"hot-pluggable" :-). A Linksys NSLU2 "slug" is a cheap way of
providing NAS.  (And it runs Linux.)

Depending on how you archive, a backup to disc can provide for
random-access restoration of "lost" files. Second law of backups is
that the file you want restored will be at the end of the tape
archive.