[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Thu Mar 24 16:18:24 WST 2005

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:47, Ian Kent wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Kev wrote:
> > Onno Benschop wrote:
> I get a little confused with the "free software chant" as the GPL is
> meant to ensure "access to source to foster continued development".
> The fact that you don't pay for the software is a great side effect
> but I don't see why we should shun other software because it's not
> GPL.

There are many reasons why Free software is better than freeware, but
that's outside the scope of this discussion. Forget free as in free
speech, the issue is that--contrary to Ahead's marketing--the Linux
version of Nero is not free as in free beer, for any reasonable
definition of free beer.

> > What I don't like is the trumpet blowing about NeroLinux being free
> > when it quite clearly isn't.
>
> But Ahead didn't have to offer it as a no-charge add-on!
> They didn't even have to develop a Linux product!

The add-on is not free. The Linux porting effort is subsidised by the
licenses sold for the MS Windows version. Any other claims are clearly
misrepresentations.

In fact, the tautological advertising device of promising a "free gift"
contingent on the purchase of a given item is considered false
advertising in some jurisdictions.

A more up-front announcement would be perhaps be "free for existing
customers" and/or advertising licenses for a piece of software that's
"compatible with MS Windows and Linux".

The fact that no one forced them to make a Linux port or to offer a dual
platform license does not exempt them from such expectations of
honesty.

> They have as much right to play in the Linux market as any and have
> the right to choose their business model as they see fit. If people
> choose not to use their products because of their choice of model
> then that's the way it goes.

Either you're stating the obvious for no apparent reason here, or I must
have missed the part where someone argued that Ahead should be slapped
with an injunction to cease developing software for Linux.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/