[plug] Nero launches a version for Linux.

Ian Kent raven at themaw.net
Thu Mar 24 11:47:48 WST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Kev wrote:

> Onno Benschop wrote:
>
> > in fact Nero normally
> > costs money - and I'm talking about a full version, not an OEM bundled one.
>
> Yes, you're right.  The full Windoze version costs money - and that's
> exactly what you must have to get a free NeroLinux.  Don't pay your
> money for the full Wintendo version, don't use NeroLinux!  It's as
> simple as that.  And what's more, many/most Linux devotees don't have a
> use for the Windo$e version which they must purchase in order to claim
> their "free" NeroLinux.

I'm sure that people who use Nero, like me, are really happy to hear that
the Linux version is available.

I get a little confused with the "free software chant" as the GPL is meant
to ensure "access to source to foster continued development". The fact
that you don't pay for the software is a great side effect but I don't
see why we should shun other software because it's not GPL.

> > I was going to write: "So stop whinging and think a little before you
> > leap."
>
> Maybe, just perhaps, stretching my imagination a wee bit, you should
> have a little think before committing to tripe such as the foregoing.
>
> > But I'm sure that would upset some people, so instead, celebrate that
> > Ahead software is developing software for Linux, that it costs nothing
>
> It does cost!!  It costs money!  You must spend the money on a
> registered full Window$ version before you can have NeroLinux.  Just
> read the info on the Nero site.
>
> > and that it's another player in the Linux sand-box.
>
> That's good!  But if you actually spent the few seconds required to read
> my previous post, I have no complaint about another player in the Linux
> sandbox, nor about paying money for good software.  What I don't like is
> the trumpet blowing about NeroLinux being free when it quite clearly isn't.

But Ahead didn't have to offer it as a no-charge add-on!
They didn't even have to develop a Linux product!

After playing with it a little it seems OK to me.
Better to use than anything else I've seen in Linux, in my opion.

It's good to see some of the areas that need attention in Linux being
addressed. There are plenty and pushing away contributers is bad. They
have as much right to play in the Linux market as any and have the right
to choose their business model as they see fit. If people choose not to
use their products because of their choice of model then that's the way it
goes.

Ian