[plug] sudo

Craig Dyke grail at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 24 19:10:35 WST 2005

Now some of you are going to chastise me for asking this question, but I
am curious.

I have noticed that the recent spate of distributions seem to say that
'sudo' is the way to
go in place of a root account.

 From the information I have found on the net it appears to me that this
option simply shifts
the admin responsibilities to another account and has all the same
inherent problems of
that user(s) safe guarding their passwords as would the root account user.

I would like it if someone would explain my misunderstanding of why
'sudo' is considered
good / better / safer than a root account?

Craig

PS. If you wish to verbally have at me, please be gentle :)