[plug] sudo

Mark Dixon MarkDixon at iiNet.net.au
Thu Mar 24 19:19:03 WST 2005

 > I would like it if someone would explain my misunderstanding of why
 > 'sudo' is considered
 > good / better / safer than a root account?

If you login as root and do something silly without thinking, it's done.
  A recursive (-R) option on a command can render your system unusable.
  However if you login as a normal user and have to type sudo in front
of commands that require G0d-like power then you tend to type them and
get a "permission denied" message which acts as a little reminder that
you need to sudo the command and do so with caution.