[plug] sudo

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Mar 24 20:37:47 WST 2005

On 24 Mar 2005 at 19:10, Craig Dyke wrote:

8<----------------- snip ------------------>8

> I would like it if someone would explain my misunderstanding of why
> 'sudo' is considered
> good / better / safer than a root account?
>
> Craig

Another thing to consider :

If you have no root account - you minimise the risk of an outsider gaining access to and control of
of your box - intruders need to gain access as a user first - this makes their task more difficult.

They first need to crack a 'username' and then they have to crack the username 'password', and then
sudo to get root access (subject to any restrictions on sudo).

With a 'root' account they only have to crack the 'password' and they own your box.

HTH

Regards Arie