[plug] sudo

Collin Baillie collin at xorotude.com
Thu Mar 24 20:07:49 WST 2005

Mark Dixon wrote:
>  > I would like it if someone would explain my misunderstanding of why
>  > 'sudo' is considered
>  > good / better / safer than a root account?
>
>  However if you login as a normal user and have to type sudo in front of
> commands that require G0d-like power then you tend to type them and get
> a "permission denied" message which acts as a little reminder that you
> need to sudo the command and do so with caution.

Maybe a better understanding would be that with sudo, you can restrict
what processes a user can run through sudo. If someone gets the
username/passphrase combo of a user who has sudo access to say 'tail -f
/var/log/messages' then all they can actually sudo is the tail
operation. They can't sudo 'rm -rf /' or 'echo /etc/shadow' or whatever.
Of course if you set sudo to give a user ALL privileges to ALL processes
you've 'potentially' got big problems.

Collin Baillie
--
Fast, Reliable, Cheap - Pick any two!