[plug] sudo catch-22

Timothy White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Mar 25 17:12:09 WST 2005

Jim Householder wrote:

> Hi
>
> When I asked about sudo's password recently I was told to use the
> current user's password.  That works for Mandrake and Fedora, but not
> SuSE 9.2.  It requires root's password, at least when one has been set.
>
> I  installed SuSE 9.2 on my test system last week and took all the
> defaults for a low-end user (not workstation) just to see what I would
> get.  There was no provision for entering a root
> password, which did not register until I needed to change /etc/exports.
>
> I tried using sudo, but was told I was not in /etc/sudoers.  Catch-22.

Is anyone in the sudoers file? If not you can probably drop to runlevel
1 (Single User Mood) and set a root password and/or add users to
sudoers. Otherwise it's a boot disk to get root or lilo/grub init
override ('init=/sbin/sh IIRC' for lilo and probably Grub)

Tim

--
Tim White - Use the Fox, Luke!
PGP/GPG id: 602E944D, Pub Key Serv: subkeys.pgp.net