[plug] trouble installing Redhat 9

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Sun Mar 27 10:10:43 WST 2005

David,

Have a look here regarding the use of  "noapic" at startup:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2003-October/msg00269.ht
ml
And if you want to make Grub and lilo "noapic" changes permanent:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-install-list/2003-October/msg00271.ht
ml
(you might have to google for better Grub editing instructions than they can
give :)

This guy has a cyrix, but I'm guessing the install has tried to use APIC,
which not all older boards support properly. And other motherboard support
for ACPI is another matter completely... I have seen some freaky things from
machines until I've used noacpi during boot, just not this. It's also
affected other flavours of linux, so I'd suggest working it out before
considering other distributions.

I've also got two other suggestions...

1) go to www.fedoralegacy.org and read up on the system to update RH9 to
similar versions as Fedora, where all the fixes are now distributed.

2) Have you looked at using something tailored to router work, such as
IPCOP? Of course if this is not a standard router or it's for learning, etc,
just ignore this suggestion... :)

Regards,

CraigF