[plug] trouble installing Redhat 9

Gavin Chester gavinchester1 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:20:31 WST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 22:31 +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've an old PII 333Mhz with 64MB RAM, which I am trying to set up as an
> internet proxy server.  I'm atttempting to install Redhat 9 on it.  I've
> managed to get through the install ok, and the dialog saying that the
> install was successful has been displayed, however when I reboot the
> machine, I get a series of what appear to be kernel messages saying things
> like:

-snip-

Like the other post in reply to your problem, I would steer you away
from doing a fresh install of RH9 and recommend going with new software
(if you were just trying to maintain an existing RH9 system, that would
be a different issue).

It's not so hard to get:
Fedora Core 3 is available on the cover DVD of a few mags at your
newsagent (Linux Format, Linux ... & Developer (having a Sunday morning
blank on the name) and APC mags, are just a few).  The Jan issue of
Linux Format had both FC3 and Ubuntu, so you have the option of trying
something completely non-Redhat - and some have reported that Ubuntu
runs well on older, low-end hardware.

FWIW: I run FC3 on this here old PII450Mhz - mind you it has 1Gb of RAM
so install issues don't seem to happen.  I upgraded from RH8 and it was
a delight to have some newer hardware recognised by FC3 out of the box
(eg, a new DVD burner, my CTX CRT monitor and a logitech trackpad that
never worked in RH8)

Regards, Gavin