[plug] Re: trouble installing Redhat 9

Nathan D natdan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 12:43:08 WST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:33:22 +0800, David Buddrige
<dbuddrige at wasp.net.au> wrote:
<snip>
> Basically I just want to get
> a web-proxy going as easily and painlessly as possible so that we can have
> everyone in the household surfing at the same time...
As suggested previously, for a quick and easy solution for a
firewall/proxy/etc, Ipcop (or SmoothWall, m0n0wall, etc) has a very
simple and straightforward setup that will get you connected in no
time at all.  Download size is about 30Mb for Ipcop & SmoothWall and
closer to 5Mb for m0n0wall.

> Second priority is to get email downloading; but it is less of a priority
> than the web [I can use webmail at a pinch].
Do you mean setting up a mail server or just getting access to email?

> Whatever I use has to be on CD
> as I only have a 32x CD-Rom on this computer.  The other machine I have to
> try is a PII 200Mhz - also with 64MB RAM, so either way it needs to run on
> minimal hardware requirements.
My first SmoothWall machine was a P75 with 32Mb and my current Ipcop
is a 300Mhz that was installed from a local http server (no cdrom in a
mini case).

> I think I'll give Debian another go at this point....
Good luck on your mission :)

> cheers
> David.

<snip>