[plug] [OT] ADSL line filter for Uniden cordless phone

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Mar 30 18:45:45 WST 2005

On 30 Mar 2005 at 7:52, Daniel Pearson wrote:

> Can you confirm it definitely is that phone / point? If that point is totally
> disconnected, does it still drop out? The only reason I ask this, is because I
> had a client with a similar problem.. who went out and bought new filters, etc.
> only to later find that it kept dropping out because they were actually too far
> from the exchange and never should have been given ADSL in the first place :)

ADSL signals attenuate at approximately 14.5 decibels per kilometre, so if you are in a marginal
area - it is quite likely that you will lose your connection as your signal strength drops due to
other influences along your local loop or other devices in your own home.

The new versions of ADSL will soon be available to the public - this will help people in the
marginal areas - by allowing greater distances between exchanges and ADSL customers.
It will also provide high data rates for people close to an exchange (up to 28  Mbps).

Regards Arie