[plug] Fake serial ports?

Carl Gherardi carl.gherardi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 14:37:33 WST 2005

Hey all,

I'm looking to set up a test harness for connecting to a serial port.
Rather than give access to a normal user, or run as root, i'd like to
provide a fake serial driver and device node to connect to.

It doesn't need to provide data, just respond nicely to open and
close, the way a real serial device file would - ideally with the
ability to create a failure state aswell.

I need to be able to do this without touching the real serial port,
which is likely open and in use.

Anyone tried this or know of something that will allow it?

Carl G