[plug] Simple bandwidth throttling

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Mar 31 14:44:39 WST 2005

and gentoo's emerge uses a number of "fetch" programs like rsync and
wget which can be rate limited in the config files (works well on a
modem!)

I dont know much about apt - does it fetch itself or use a helper that
can be configured separately?

One problem I have found with wget, rsync (in particular) and QOS
(iproute2) type throttling is that they are bursty (send/get a "chunk",
wait a defined time then send/get another chunk so they produce the
desired throughput as an average.), so this may be a consideration.

iproute2 is very successful on iinet adsl.

BillK