[plug] Debugging an apt-get install.. (EXIM4!!!)

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu May 5 17:25:49 WST 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 04:51:32PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
[...]
> It gets to the setting up exim4 prompt and kind of falls asleep. I've
> waited for upgrades. No luck. Google tells me nothing, and I'm kinda
> getting deeply flustered by this.

Maybe that's during the exim4-base postinstall script. Have a look at
what processes are running at the time with "pstree -p", or "ps auxwww".

If you ^C it at that point, it may rerun that part when you do
"dpkg --configure --pending" - if so, you can examine or change the
/var/lib/dpkg/info/exim4-base.postinst or whichever script and try
again.

You can instrument the whole procedure with:

# strace -fo /tmp/strace.log apt-get install exim4

or similar, and see exactly which files get open()'ed or programs get
exec()'ed.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal