[plug] anyone here REALLY good with GIMP?

Alex Nordstrom lx at se.linux.org
Sun May 8 14:00:55 WST 2005

On Sun, 8 May 2005 13:35, Senectus . wrote:
> On 5/8/05, Gavin Chester <gavinchester1 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2005-05-08 at 09:41 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > > I made do with the feather and the drop shadow tools, It looks
> > > pretty good, but it's clear to me I have more learning to do :-P
> >
> > Your problem highlights the weakness of bitmap graphics that have
> > been around for decades.  If possible to change the source of the
> > graphics you will, of course, get far better mileage
> > (kilometreage?) if you use vector graphics (SVG) from eg, sodipodi,
> > inkscape, etc.  Gimp and the like are really only good for photos
> > (flame on).
>
> Thats all well and good but the image I was making was a Corporate
> Wallpaper for a XP environment..
> I very much doubt that XP will allow SVG wallpaper :-P

So do your work in a format suitable for editing and then export it to a
format suitable for distribution. That is, work with the Gimp's own
file format and keep text in its own layer so that it can be edited, or
use a vector graphics programme if appropriate.

Not retaining a copy that you can edit as freely as when you first
created it is a bit like throwing away the source code every time you
compile a program. Actually, it's exactly like that.

--
Alex Nordstrom
http://lx.n3.net/