[plug] Viewing or converting sendmail queue files

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon May 9 18:10:50 WST 2005

Hi Folks,

Assuming I have a directory of sendmail queue files (all the d* and q*
stuff) which are effectively a point-in-time copy of the real sendmail
queue, is there anyway I can easily view the message bodies and
attachments without actually delivering them?

Something that converted to into an mbox file for example would be fine,
but I'd prefer a program that could trawl the directory and present
something email client like - just for viewing.

With MailScanner for example, the archive option can write to a
directory or file.  When it sees a directory it writes queue files, when
it sees a file it appends to it as an mbox file.  There is already code
to do it that I could eventually dig out I guess, but is there a util
already around for it?

I know it's just a matter of stripping the sendmail prefixes out of the
q* file and concatenating with the d* file, but I'm sure there are many
caveats that would see me fail in any attempt to quickly script it :)

Thanks,

Ryan