[plug] Debian UML networking

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed May 18 00:47:28 WST 2005

Howdy,

I'm just playing with user mode linux in Debian and have hit a
problem/misunderstanding regarding networking.

I have used the user-mode-linux and uml-utilities packages from Debian
and have it running , diverting to pts, logging in fine etc, but I can't
figure out networking.

I've read the howto:

http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/UserModeLinux-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.4

... but am a bit lost.  It has lots of examples and topical banter, but
nothing that has helped me so far.  I can specify a tap/tun setup in the
boot options and assign an address to the interface as expected in the
UML but get no network connectivity.  Then other things I read talk
about kernel modules and helper apps and things and it gets rather
muddy.

Can anyone explain (or link to) in a definitive way how to get a UML box
on Debian talking to the outside world?

Thanks,

Ryan