[plug] Debian UML networking

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Wed May 18 09:45:16 WST 2005

On Wed, 18 May 2005, quoth Ryan:

> Can anyone explain (or link to) in a definitive way how to get a UML box
> on Debian talking to the outside world?

This is what I do for one of my UML hosts "sid" using the Debian
uml-utilities package.

Add the user that the uml runs as ("sid") to uml-net in /etc/group

In /etc/network/interfaces on the host:

auto tap1
iface tap1 inet static
        address 202.72.143.121
        netmask 255.255.255.248
        up route add 202.72.143.122 dev tap1
        tunctl_user sid

On the uml command line: eth0=tuntap,tap1

In /etc/network/interfaces on the UML:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 202.72.143.122
        netmask 255.255.255.255
        up route add 202.72.143.121 dev eth0
        up route add default gw 202.72.143.121

Hope this helps

I also have a couple of UMLs running where I add tapN to a bridge (br0) on
the host instead, so the UML has direct access to the LAN.

 - Matt