[plug] [OTish] IP Phones general info?

Steve Baker steve at iinet.net.au
Wed May 18 07:10:32 WST 2005

Hi,

I have several offices around the place (Freo, West Perth, Vancouver,
soon adding Kalgoorlie, SAfrica, SAmerica) that are connected via IPSec
net-to-net VPN tunnels using Linux (on topic.. for a second...)

I was thinking about the wonders of VOIP, about which I know little to
nothing.  I was wondering if I could just plug in IP phones in each
office, assign an IP address to the phone, tell it to call a phone at a
particular IP address elswhere on the WAN and it would Just Work ?

Do IP phones in fact actually work this way?

If this is the case, can I get some software on the desktop workstations
(Windows) and have them talk to the phones, and vice-versa?  I know
about Skype and such, but those type of protocols don't NAT too well and
I'd rather have all the traffic go through the IPSec tunnel.

Thanks.

Steve