[plug] Debian UML networking

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun May 22 18:29:54 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 09:45 +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
<snip>
> Hope this helps
>
> I also have a couple of UMLs running where I add tapN to a bridge (br0) on
> the host instead, so the UML has direct access to the LAN.

Okay, I finally got it working :)

After spending way too long stuffing around unsuccessfully with standard
networking and TUN/TAP, I decided to try bridging.

I recompiled and added it in the host kernel, then found this script:

http://deb.riseup.net/miscellaneous/uml/#0.1.2

(there are lots more goodies on that page too)

After changing the IPs it ran fine, I booted my UML, configured the
interface and it all worked perfectly.

Along the way I also had issues with using testing and unstable
user-mode-linux Debian packages as I believe the kernels used devfs and
my intimate miscomprehension of said technology made them crash and
randomly hang during boot.  I have used the stable package which uses
2.4.18-17um with no problems.

Now, what to do with it ... *muse*

Cheers,

Ryan