[plug] Debian UML networking

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed May 18 10:20:14 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 09:45 +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, quoth Ryan:
>
> > Can anyone explain (or link to) in a definitive way how to get a UML box
> > on Debian talking to the outside world?
>
> This is what I do for one of my UML hosts "sid" using the Debian
> uml-utilities package.
>
> Add the user that the uml runs as ("sid") to uml-net in /etc/group
>
> In /etc/network/interfaces on the host:
>
> auto tap1
> iface tap1 inet static
>         address 202.72.143.121
>         netmask 255.255.255.248
>         up route add 202.72.143.122 dev tap1
>         tunctl_user sid
>
> On the uml command line: eth0=tuntap,tap1

Done all that but it won't create the tap1 device - doing it manually
says:

SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
tap1: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device

Do I need to create the /dev/net/tun device with chnod or something, or
do I really need to recompile a kernel with the tun module in it to use
on the host system (unfortunately not an option at present) ?

Thanks,

Ryan