[plug] Debian UML networking

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed May 18 11:37:26 WST 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:31 +0800, Matt Kemner wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005, quoth Ryan:
>
> > Do I need to create the /dev/net/tun device with chnod or something,
>
> Yes, if you don't have a /dev/net/tun you will need to create it
> mknod /dev/net/tun c 10 200
>
> > or
> > do I really need to recompile a kernel with the tun module in it to use
> > on the host system (unfortunately not an option at present) ?
>
> And yes, you do need tun/tap support in your host's kernel (either
> directly or via a module)

Okay, I've had a change of circumstance and was able to dodgy up a
module on the host:

tun                     4448   2

I've set up the tap1 interface on the host:

tap1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:FF:53:17:46:6D
          inet addr:192.168.0.19  Bcast:192.168.0.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

I then start my UML:

linux ubd0=Debian-3.0r2.ext2 con=pts con0=fd:0,fd:1 eth0=tuntap,tap1

Then from the UML I get errors when I try to setup the interface, for
example:

(none):~# ifconfig eth0 up
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Interrupted system call

Sometimes it will dish back the SIOCSIFFLAGS line instantly, other times
it will hang indefinitely until I ctrl-C and then it will show it.

What am I missing here?

Ryan