[plug] Wacky packet loss/delays on wireless

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue May 24 21:03:56 WST 2005

How close together are the laptop and AP?

Because its possible that the transmit power is too high for the
distance the devices are apart and particularly in a house you could be
getting signal reflection (i.e. the same signal reaching the AP or your
laptop multiple times).  I had problems when I networked my Dad's
computer to an AP in my folks place... the network connection
performance was incredibly slow and it would drop out randomly.

I was using a D-Link AP and PCI card in the computer, and lowering the
transmit power on the AP fixed the problems.

/ Ben