[plug] Wacky packet loss/delays on wireless

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Tue May 24 21:42:04 WST 2005

G'Day Cameron and Pluggers,
    Wireless layer 2 guarantees packet delivery, regardless of the
packet type. This means that if you're on a poor connection, the packets
will appear to be delayed but not lost. This is particularly painful
when doing things like voip, where latency rather than acuracy is
important. If you're lucky, your APs may allow you to set the retry
attempts, time limits, etc. For linux, have a look at "iwconfig retry".

Regards,
Adrian