[plug] [OT] Acer Lappy

Phillip bishop.frog at gmail.com
Tue May 24 23:47:04 WST 2005

I think notebooks have not improved much in performance since 1ghz
simply because of the power restrictions that the latest cpu's impose
on the poor battery. When laptops start using hydrogen cells, there
should be three times the energy at bay allowing more room for
improvement.

Phillip.

On 5/24/05, Quintin Lette <qlette at gmail.com> wrote:
> even so, I'm happy enough with my HP Omnibook (which is a PIII/850
> with 384mb and 40gb 4200rpm hdd) running full blown KDE 3.4 (on SuSE
> 9.3)
>
> Yes I yearn for more power, but I'm waiting for the next generation
> Powerbooks (surely can't be that far off...) and the money to actually
> buy one :)
>
> On 5/24/05, Chris Caston <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-05-24 at 20:27, Phillip wrote:
> > > Yep, needs more memory, bigger hdd, Linux...
> > >
> > > Mates laptop cost around 2.5K, and has 1GB ram, A64 CPU, 60gig hdd,
> > > ati graphics chip, 1024x768x24bpp display, same for the rest... Runs
> > > very nice, albeit the video performance is a little slow. He actually
> > > uses it at lans instead of his main pc!
> >
> > I'd imagine the problem with the Walmart laptop would be that part of
> > the 256mb RAM would be shared with the on board video. The hd would
> > probably be 4400rpm giving you extremely slow swap partition access.
> >
> > However I'm sure with a Debian install and a minimalist window manager
> > and desktop environment like XFce or Fluxbox (perhaps even KDE 3.4 if
> > you trim it down a bit) it wouldn't be so bad.
> >
> > I agree, however, that you could easily spend $200-300 extra to get a
> > decent mobile Athlon, 5400rpm hd and 512mb ram.

The ecological crisis is a moral issue.