[plug] [OT] Acer Lappy

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed May 25 11:43:51 WST 2005

Dell bios suspend to RAM: highly flakey, battery flattens in about 36hrs
(i.e., wont last across a weekend), a certain crash if a device is
unplugged before restart (my dell laptop has a stupid catch system that
is forever tripping when I pick it up)  Doesnt co-exist nicely (dell
bios suspend to RAM - may be my setup) with swsusp2 suspend to disk.

Software suspend2 to disk: much more reliable, often picks up HW changes
and allows a safe reboot and recovery (by putting the device back in!)
instead of a hard lock/messy crash.  Downside is it takes a fair while
to suspend (1G ram) and even longer to recover to a full working state.

I might try setting up swsusp2 suspend to RAM and swsusp2 suspend to
disk as alternatives and see if that works, as the speed thing can be
critical - can sometimes take longer to resume (and longer again if the
resume crashes out - a definite problem that happens more often than I
want!) than a boot from scratch and open OO for a presentation than to
resume a system with many apps and a lot of swap (>1G) in use!

BillK