[plug] [OT] Acer Lappy

Daniel J. Axtens danielax at gmail.com
Wed May 25 19:53:46 WST 2005

> Yeah, you would think that it would be possible to make a 32GB ROM
> these days with no trouble at all. That would be plenty of room for
> most distro's. Reliability would be top of the line.

It is a little bit tricky to upgrade the contents of ROM chips,
however. No upgrades possible.

<ot type="legalistic ponderings">
This could, however, give people a reason to sue software vendors that
make software that is buggy. As you can't upgrade it, if it doesn't
work, it is not fit for the purpose it is advertised for. Vendors
would probably make you sign this right away, however.
</ot>

On 5/25/05, Phillip <bishop.frog at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, you would think that it would be possible to make a 32GB ROM
> these days with no trouble at all. That would be plenty of room for
> most distro's. Reliability would be top of the line.
>
> Phillip.
>
> On 5/25/05, W.Kenworthy <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> > Years back (in DOS5 days) you could get ROM boards for the OS, and ram
> > boards for the filesystem you wanted to write to.  Often used in
> > equipment controllers where a HD is excessive, and reliability was
> > important.  Downside was cost.  I am sure they have advanced a lot from
> > back then though!
> >
> > BillK

> > > What about inherent lifetime limitations with respect to the number of
> > > read/erases/write operations of these drives?
> > >
> > > There may be a lot of advantages to it, but I'm skeptical about
> > > durability being one of them for the foreseeable future.

> --
> The ecological crisis is a moral issue.

Neuronstorm: neuronstorm.sourceforge.net
The Neuronstorm Blog: leinad-golb.blogspot.com