[plug] Discerning minds

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri May 27 17:10:56 WST 2005

Russell Steicke wrote:

> Agree with all of that.  Emacs starts up too slow for casual editing
> (like email), but I find it better for programming.

You might also want to look into emacsclient.  If you put the line

    (server-start)

in your .emacs, then you can tell (e.g.) mutt to use emacsclient as an
editor, which will bring up the file in your already-open emacs, or
fall back to vi (!) if there isn't an emacs open.

Though really, most of the time there's not really much reason to
prefer emacs, vim or even nano when all you're doing is composing an
e-mail.

Cameron.