[plug] Linux friendly Laser printers

Craig Foster craig at fostware.net
Mon May 30 08:53:18 WST 2005

<snip>

Noooooo!!!!

Brother OPC (developer) drums have the thinnest coating EVER!!

The green OPC coating wears off way to quick and usually leaves a dark
band of toner down one side of the page. Toner is cheap, but the
developer kit isn't.  Kyocera drums are hardened - that's part of their
product differentiation for advertising purposes.

A Kyocera FS-1010N at site I managed, does 3000 pages a month, and only
requires a yearly service. I doubt the Brother would even come close to
coping.
(Their two Kyocera FS-3800N printers both do 5000 pages a month. Gotta
love the paper-loving insurance industry :P )

Craig Foster
craig at fostware.net
(S/MIME Available)