[plug] Linux friendly Laser printers

Rob Davies rob at rjdarts.com
Mon May 30 11:06:44 WST 2005

Morning All,

On 30/05/2005, at 8:53 AM, Craig Foster wrote:

> [...]

Now for a printer that only cost me $219 from Officeworks in October
last year the added benefit of not parting with huge amounts of cash
each time toner needs changing, and a complete drum cheaper than most.

Toner cartridges replacement for Brother current HL1430 about $70 for
3000 pages and $98 for 6000 pages. Drums are $197 with a 20000 page
life cycle. Printer $200 ????

> A Kyocera FS-1010N at site I managed, does 3000 pages a month, and
> only
> requires a yearly service. I doubt the Brother would even come
> close to coping.

Our HL1430 runs at about 2000 a month, replaced cartridge with 6000 3
times now in last 7 months and still running without a problem or
service required with exception of a CUPS software glitch a couple of
months back.

It was only purchased as a short term replacement for our industrial
strength Laser for which it is now our industrial strength. Hence, I
have 2 more in cupboard for replacement when it does require service
outside of warranty.

So, $513 total thus far, and still working after 17500 pages with at
least another 5000 pages left  I would think this is a fairly solid
performance and a cost effective one.

For a SOHO situation it can achieve more than required or expected.

> (Their two Kyocera FS-3800N printers both do 5000 pages a month. Gotta
> love the paper-loving insurance industry :P )

And the cost is?????

Cheers!

Rob Davies
rob at rjdarts.com
"You can always tell if you're working on a Mac or a PC," he said.
"Just take your applications and stick them in and see if they run
(Gates 05)." If it does Welcome to Mac OS X! (RJDarts 05).