[plug] RE: Linux friendly Laser printers

Peter T Spicer-Wensley petersw at svshs.wa.edu.au
Mon May 30 09:22:53 WST 2005

Peace, Pluggers!

> tenzero at iinet.net.au <mailto:tenzero at iinet.net.au>  Said:

>Hi pluggers.

>I am in the market for a cheap (student kind of cheap) monochrome laser
printer.

>I am seeking feedback / impressions from fellow pluggers.

>My main needs are:

>well behaved with linux.

>ethernet support built in if possible.

>good toner cartridge longevity.

> low price.

I recently bought 20 Dell 1700N Laser Printers for my school (Swan View
SHS).

These have some good features for Linux:

Built-in WebServer and SNMP setup. With really extensive reporting and
configuration (they send me an email when they run out of paper or toner
or if they get a paper jam). You configure it from a web browser after
printing out its setup to get it's IP (which it gets by DHCP) and then
you can assign it a permanent IP, mask, gateway, Name, Contact,
timezone, timeserver etc etc details.

Drivers: has documented support for: SuSE Linux 7.2, SuSE Linux 7.3,
SuSE Linux 8.0, Red Hat Linux 7.2, Red Hat Linux 7.3, Red Hat Linux 8.0,
(it's a rebadged Lexmark laser printer which have good Linux support in
my experience.) It doesn't claim Mac compatibility but it works fine
with our Mac OS X laptops using generic drivers though I daresay I could
find the Lexmark driver to match if I could be bothered. (If it ain't
broke - why fix it?)

Built in 10/100 TX Networking by default. USB and Parallel ports are
there as well.

Fast 25 PPM engine that delivers at least that.

Clear 1200 dpi prints. FAST PDF printing - much faster than anything
else I've seen. 200MHz 32MB RAM unit. Fast first page out.

Low cost for the build quality. ($296 ex GST each 'cos I bought 20 and
they were having a special last December when they were ordered.)

RRP $429 inc GST. (www.dell.com.au)

Lowish running costs: You get 3000 pages plus (about 3200) for your
included toner cartridge - it's not a half-cartridge like some.

 Exchange Standard 3000 page toner cartridge for $110 (3.7 c /sheet  -
fairly average )

 Exchange Value 6000 page toner cartridge for $145 (2.4 c /sheet - below
average)

Drum replacement after 300,000 sheets about $100

You can replace the standard 250 sheet feeder with 550 sheet feeder
about $150.

Good Postscript and PCL 5 and 6 support.

Lots of options.

Well worth looking at. I'm glad we went with them as our default
networked laser printer. Other options were MUCH more expensive with
higher running costs.

Peter Spicer-Wensley
System Administrator
Swan View Senior High School
Gladstone Avenue
SWAN VIEW  WA   6056
Mob: 04 1893 4218
Mail: petersw at svshs.wa.edu.au

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not
sure about the the universe." ( Albert Einstein)

"Other kings said I was daft to build a castle in the swamp, but I built
it all the same." (Herbert's father the King)