[plug] Turning an out of date PC into a linux home entertainment thingymabob?

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Tue Nov 1 21:12:34 WST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Holland" <myk.list at westnet.com.au>
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Turning an out of date PC into a linux home entertainment	thingymabob?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:09:40 +0800

> Ari,
> consider the noise  problem.

No noise problem: CPU and case fans are the Vantec Stealth 80mm model.

> Those XPs are hot, noisy boxes. Can
> you underclock it and slow down the fans?
>     $100 could get you a (used?) TV-out VGA card, and a TV-capture card
> with remote. I think most TV cards work fine with Linux.

I think looking into this should be my first step. I've seen new ones for significantly less than $100, IIRC

>    However, why go to all that trouble on outdated technology?
> Digital TV cards are cheap now, and let you record the actual
> broadcast signal.

I thought there were a good many on the market now that did both anaologue and digital TV.

>    Anyway, its all in the PLUG list archives.
>
> Alternatively, spend the hundred bucks on a DVD player with DivX/XviD.
> They also play MP3s, about 60 hours to a DVD.

I have hundreds of gigabytes of movies and music on my server. I like this because it lets me get away from the CDs and DVDs and constantly searching for them etc etc.

Ari