[plug] Squid and Windows Update Cache

Shannon Carver Shannon.Carver at P-S-T.COM.AU
Thu Nov 3 08:40:51 WST 2005

Hi Guys,

I've set up a squid cache here at the office a few months ago, and its
been working great except for Windows Updates.  I've tried various
scripts, and rules for squid which supposedly work fine for windows
updates, yet all successive downloads of the same updates come down from
the live server, as opposed to from the local cache server.

This is a relatively big problem here, as one focus of our business is
machine rollouts, building and rebuilding PC's etc etc.  As they're all
using different motherboards and the like, they all need to be updated
independently.

Has anyone had any experience in getting Windows updates working through
squid?  I've tried (in my rules):
refresh_pattern windowsupdate.com/.*\.(cab|exe) 4320 100% 43200
reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern download.microsoft.com/.*\.(cab|exe) 4320 100% 43200
reload-into-ims
refresh_pattern au.download.windowsupdate.com/.*\.(cab|exe) 4320 100%
43200 reload-into-ims

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Shannon Carver